The kitchen was originally painted off-white with beige trim, crown molding, cabinets, doors, and wainscoting. I painted the walls gray using Behr Premium Plus Ultra matte/flat Dark Granite (Behr – 780F-6). The trim, crown molding, cabinets, door, and wainscoting were painted with Behr Premium Plus Ultra satin Ultra Pure White.
This room had the same reddish tile that was in the breakfast room. We had a porcelain tile that looks like marble installed. The 12 x 24 tiles of Mirasol ML70 – Bianco Carrara were installed in a brick pattern. It made a huge difference in the look of this room – looks fantastic!
We had new countertops installed, too! After considering the different materials available, we chose quartz. We had the Martha Stewart Living by Viatera in Midnight installed. This particular color was only available through Home Depot, so we had to go through them. It took a lot longer than the estimated time, and they cancelled the first scheduled installation date, but we did eventually get it installed. It looks great, and was the best of the black quartz samples that we considered… and we looked everywhere in town that sold quartz. We also had a new sink installed when we did the countertops. We chose a black composite sink and had it undermounted.
We decided to leave the backsplash. I like the look of subway tiles, and it does goes with our new countertop and flooring. If we decide we really don’t like it, we can always change it in the future.
Other improvements were:
– Hired someone to enlarge the opening from the kitchen to the dining room.
– Repaired the wall in the cabinet under the sink. Previous owners had a water leak and the wall was torn up and never fixed.
– Repaired the wall in a bottom cabinet space where an old water line had been, and another leak had occurred.
– Converted a drawer space in the corner between the oven and stove to a cabinet space.
– Replaced the bronze door hinges on the cabinet doors with satin nickel hinges.
– Replaced the ceiling vent registers.
– Placed LED light bulbs in the recessed lights and the light fixtures over the bar.
– Replaced the ceiling fan pull chain.
– Replaced the faucet.
– Replaced the dishwasher.
– Replaced the refrigerator.
– Childproofed the room. I installed cabinet latches on some of the lower cabinets, but left a couple that can be opened by Gavin. I left the cabinets empty or put plasticware in the ones without latches. To childproof the drawers, I left the lower drawers empty and put plasticware or towels in drawers that Gavin can reach.
– Hired someone to construct a walk-in pantry. I’ll do another post about our new walk-in pantry.
We hired an electrician to update the electrical work in our house. For this room, that was:
– Replaced the wall outlets with white decorator GCFI outlets. White decorator wall plates were used on the new outlets.
– Replaced the toggle light switches with white decorator rocker switches. White decorator wall plates were used on the new switches.
– Installed under cabinet lighting.